Thursday, May 6, 2010

Facing my Fears

A good friend of mine once said that doing things out of your comfort zone keeps your brain healthy and your mind alive.
There are probably studies that support this, but I haven't read any. If you you have, please share them.

I just believe it to be true.
Mental health is just as important as physical health.

So, when I got asked to speak to a doctor's office on the topic of women and exercise, I didn't want to do it. And I didn't not want to do it.

I knew this would be such a great opportunity for me for several reasons.
1. I might get a client or 2.
2. I might learn something.
3. I might book other speaking engagements because of it (now that it's over, I might want to. might.)
4. I would be doing something I am not used to doing (see above).

Sure I have taught group fitness and I instruct clients for hour long workout sessions, but speaking for a whole hour is a waaaaaaaay different thing.

I prepared since the day I was asked to do it which ended up being one and a half weeks ago. I thought about what I wanted to communicate and how I could make it fun and entertaining for the group and then I got to work....nerves with me every step of the way.

I practiced and practiced and with the help of Zeb (the Power Point/speech giving wizard) I got my speech from a measly 20 minutes (yikes!) to a full hour.

The presentation was this morning at 7:30. I woke up at 4:30 to iron out the final details and to give my speech one last time to a very sleepy boyfriend.

And believe it or not...the presentation was a success!
People were engaged, I got my point across, people asked questions and volunteered.
It went even better than I imagined it would go thanks to a lively group of ladies.
They really helped squash most of my nerves at the start.

I feel so good that it went well...


and also that it's over.


Thank goodness!




No comments: