Sunday, May 9, 2010

Workout DVD Review

Today I did the Crunch Boot Camp Training DVD.


I picked this one because it's on the Netflix instant watch list. I think that means it's accessible to a lot of people.

I usually don't like workout DVDs and I don't like working out at home either, but today I was pressed for time and so I thought I would give it a whirl.

I liked it.

It starts with a dynamic warm up with some mildly difficult choreography which might be hard for some of you who are less coordinated. I urge you to push through the warm-up, however, and stay for the workout if the choreography makes you frustrated.

The workout consists of cardio and resistance training. They recommend 3-5 lb dumbbells. The smallest set I have is 8lbs which was mostly appropriate for me. There were some reverse fly exercises that were super challenging.
I do recommend 5lbs on the first run through of the video and then you can decide to up the weight from there....but start with 5lbs.

The entire 30 minutes (yes it's only a 30 minute workout) had my heart rate elevated. She uses a lot of compound movements that I really like. For example, a squat with an overhead press, a squat with a bicep curl.

She makes it interesting and I was never ever ever ever bored, that's for sure!

She also does a good amount of tricep work (including tricep push ups) which I am always looking for.

This was a great workout if your short on time, or paired with a 30 minute bout of cardio.

4 out of 5 stars I'll say.

No comments: