Sunday, April 11, 2010

A little Advice...

image from weheartit.com

Well....let me say that I love group exercise, especially strength training classes. I also love Pilates and boot camps. I love them all, right? I like when people tell me what to do, much the same reason someone would hire a personal trainer...you don't have to make up the routine, you just go through the motions. I will say I have been to some less than challenging group exercises classes so it's definitely something you have to do you homework on and then return to the ones you really like....the ones that kick your ass!

okay.

So, this little technique will work in all those classes, to help get you through the challenging parts of the class when you feel like giving up and your muscles are burning and you don't want to continue on and you're tired and thirsty and want to leave ASAP. We've all been there, exercise is hard and should be uncomfortable. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. It's supposed to challenge your mind and body. That's the point and that's where the benefit comes in.
Here's what I do:
I count reps in groups of 5.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Let's say, as per yesterday when I was at Project Poolside at Scott Fitness, (scottfitness.com) the instructor is having you do upwards of 30 plie squats. Yikes!

Just keep it going, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 because you can always do 5 of something right? 5 of something is....nothing....No need to give up if there are just 5 squats left. Anyone can do 5 squats.

It helped me all day yesterday in class.

I hope this helps you too.


No comments: