Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Book Review

Here's a brief review of Barbara Kingsolver's Animal Vegetable Miracle.

http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.com/

I have been wanting to read this book for quite sometime and finally my book club allowed this to happen. I will say that I enjoyed the book very much. I think for the most part, the reader has to put aside any feelings of inferiority as Kingsolver is prone to talk down to the reader. This made some of my book club friends uneasy, angry and hate the book...If you can get past this....then read on!

Kingsolver begins the book sharing her quest for her and her family of 4 to eat only locally (and mostly off their own land) for an entire year.

She does a great job outlining different gardening techniques and walks the reader through what it's really like to be a large scale gardener. I was worn out most of the time reading her book because she was employed full time and then gardened with the rest of her time. Planting, weeding, harvesting, canning, etc...

Her husband Steven contributes often with more factual, objective content.

Her oldest daughter is also a contributor with some tasty recipes to share.

The book is inspiring to eat better, live better, cook more, support local farmers, think about what you eat, connect with nature, etc etc etc....and inspired me to want to make my own bread, can summer vegetables for use in the winter and support my farmer's market as much as I can.

It's a great read....

5 stars!

No comments: