Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Today for Lunch

Let me begin with a little background information to start. I'm in a dinner club. We meet once a month. Every month the host decides on a theme. (You can read about a previous dinner club here. ) This month's theme was RAW FOOD. I was so worried that we would be sitting around a table full of baby carrots, but instead we were all really inventive (like always) and excited to research and see what this whole raw foods thing was all about.

Attending this installment of dinner club got me excited about all raw food recipes. Now, I can't commit to more than one raw meal at a time, ie: I probably won't pursue this for a week, or even a day...but throwing in a recipe here and there has been a lot of fun this week, and super easy!

Here's a recipe from www.welikeitraw.com

Zucchini Pasta by Philip McCluskey

So you're enjoying eating raw, but really missing those family spaghetti meals. Well, now you can create a dish that is 10x healthier, easy to make, and has a little bit of an Italian flair to it too.

Ingredients
    • 1-2 zucchinis, shredded with hand peeler
    • 1 handful organic artichoke hearts
    • 1 handful of olives, pitted
    • 1 tbsp olive oil
    • 1/2 lemon, squeezed for juice
    • sea salt to taste
      Directions
        1. Shred zucchini with hand peeler
        2. Add rest of ingredients
        3. Toss and serve

        It's pretty delicious, as simple as it sounds and looks. I opted out of the olives on this one, and in the future will probably opt in on some more veggies or maybe even some tomato sauce. The lemon juice really added a lot of flavor, and I was able to eat a whole zucchini for lunch...how often does that happen?!? I think the secret to this was to slice them with a grater/slicer so they become thin, wide zucchini ribbons.

        If you are a raw foodist, I think that's great. I am not one, I like hot food sometimes....but I think trying these recipes is fun and adds variety to my usual routine.

        Delicious and nutritious!

        No comments: