Thursday, December 8, 2011

Knitting

I'm accustomed to knitting with pretty small needles most of the time, US size 10 is pretty standard around here, but with one week to make three knit hats, I had to figure out a different plan of attack.
I searched Ravelry and to my delight found the perfect pattern for a chunky knit hat.


Yarn: Cascade, magnum. 1 skein will make one small and one large.
Needles: size US 15 circular
Gauge: 2 stitches per 1”
Size: small (large)
Measurement: 20” (22”) round

Cast on 44 (48) stitches.
Knit in garter stitch for 6 (10) rows.
Change to stockinette and knit until piece measures 5 1/2 (6 1/2 ) inches, ending with a wrong side row.

Next row: (RS) knit 2 together until end. 22 (24) stitches.
Next row: (WS) Purl 2 together until end. 11 (12) stitches.
Next row: (RS) Knit 2 tog to end. {on this row, on the small size, you will
knit 2 tog 5x, and have 1 stitch remaining for 6 stitches total} 6 stitches also remain for
large size. Cut yarn and run through remaining 6 stitches.

Finishing: Sew together seam, being careful to line up garter rows.

NOTES: This can also be knit on 4 double point, size 15 needles, to avoid seaming.
Large size in parentheses.
Play around with the length of the garter stitch depending on your liking.
Garter stitch: Knit every row.
Stockinette stitch: Knit on the right side, purl on the wrong side. Both hats shown are
knit with the 44 stitch cast on (I like a tight hat, and have a smallish head.) I then
followed the large pattern, knitting 10 rows of garter, changing to stockinette and knitting
for 6 1/2 inches.


I deviated from the pattern just slightly.
I used two US 15 straight needles because after going to one craft store and calling two others, that's all I could find. I'm sure an actual yarn store would have been more helpful, but I was pressed for time, like I said.
I knit garter stitch for 8 rows (not 6) and knit stockinette until the piece measured 7 1/2 to 8 inches (not 6 1/2).
I decided on these changes after I read some of the reviews on Ravelry and am happy I made the hat longer than the pattern suggested.

I love this pattern. I can't wait to make more of these hats!
Do you use Ravelry?
What are some of your favorite patterns?

No comments: