Tuesday, November 22, 2011

books and food and travel...

I attended a continuing education class for my personal training certification this weekend. At one point, the speaker wanted us to write a list of things we would do during the day if we didn't have to work and we had enough money to live....we could do anything we wanted!

Among the things on my list were:
read
scrapbook
take pictures
walk Peanut
make good food
eat good food
travel

I didn't write 'train clients' on the list. I thought I should though, like a dedicated, motivated trainer would. I tried to peek at other people's lists. "Are they writing 'train clients'?"

I thought at the end of this exercise he was going to say those that didn't write 'train' were bad trainers or something. However, if I didn't get paid to do it, I wouldn't train clients. It's true.

It made me think about my career choice (I've been doing that a lot lately, actually). Should I have a job I would do whether I got paid or not? I guess that would be ideal. However, I do love what I do. I love my job. I may not be as motivated as this speaker (I'm definitely not), but I do love my clients and I love helping people get healthier and make better choices every day.

I also like to do a lot of other things too and I'm thankful I have the job that gives me enough free time to do the things I love to do, even though I don't get paid to do them.


What's on your list?

1 comment:

Teacher Jim said...

Great post! A great answer I thought.